Some users when installing a Feature Update or full install/re-install of Windows 11 or Windows 10 may receive the error Windows setup could not configure Windows to run on this computer’s hardware right after or during the “Completing installation” stage of the process. The installation process will not continue past the error. If you restart the computer, the install process will arrive back at the same error with no further progress. In this post, we will provide the solution for both cases of when performing a feature update or installing Windows 11/10 and you encounter this error.
This error is triggered due to a number of reasons such as corrupted update’s installation files (especially during a major update such as the Windows 11/10 Feature Updates), an unseen problem with the Windows Update services, Windows activation error (if you’re installing Windows 11/10), OS system file error, or even conflicts between existing software.
Windows Setup could not configure Windows to run on this computer’s hardware
If you were installing Windows 11/10 and the error occurred, you can try the following steps to resolve this issue:
- Manually run msoobe.exe to finish the install
- Change some BIOS settings
- Stop overclocking your CPU
- Check for and manually install problematic drivers
Let’s check out these steps in detail.
1] Manually run msoobe.exe to finish the install
A possible resolution to this issue is to manually run the msoobe.exe program (which ensures the Microsoft Windows version is activated and registered properly) to allow the install to complete.
Here’s how to manually run the msoobe.exe program:
- While on the screen where the error appears, press Shift+F10 to bring up the command prompt.
- Type or copy and paste the command below (replace the x place-holder with the actual drive letter where Windows is installed and hit Enter.
- Next, type the command below in succession and hit Enter.
You may then be prompted to create an account name and password and set the time and date.
- Click Finish when done
If this is a retail version of Windows 11/10, you may also be prompted to enter a product key for Windows 11/10. Enter the product key and click Finish.
The installation process should then be complete and allow the computer to boot into Windows.
2] Change some BIOS settings
There are certain settings in BIOS which work great for older versions of the Windows operating system but they display poor execution on Windows 11/10 and it can often cause this error to occur. In this case, do the following:
- Restart your computer and press a specific key to boot into BIOS.
- Locate the SATA option in BIOS. This item can be located under different tabs depending on different manufacturers, and usually, they can be the Advanced tab, Integrated Peripherals, etc.
- When you locate it, change it to IDE, RAID, ATA or AHCI and save the change. Note that even if it’s not SATA that is originally there, you can still change it to something else.
Pro tip: ATA is the most reasonable option for the process of installing new updates or upgrading.
Remember to change the settings back to their original state after you have finished with the process and installed Windows 11/10 successfully on your computer.
- Top 5 Solutions to Hulu Error Code Runtime-2 [MiniTool Tips]
- Turn On or Off Automatic Pause OneDrive Sync When On Battery
- How To Add Recycle Bin To Taskbar In Windows 8
- Invalid Value for Registry JPG/JPEG/PNG Files on Windows 10? Fix it Now!
- Download Windows 10 Version 2004 ISO (19041.1675)
3] Stop overclocking your CPU
Overclocking is a process where you change the frequency and speed of your processor to a greater value and above the recommended factory settings. This can give your PC a significant speed advantage.
In this case, returning your CPU’s rate and frequency to its original state depends on which software you used to overclock in the first place.
4] Check for and manually install problematic drivers
You can check this by disconnecting or disabling various devices on your computer via Device Manager. After which you can restart the installation process and check to see when the error does not appear. If so, that device is causing problems.
Pro tip: It has been known that the hard disk drivers is usually the culprit here. So check that first.
You should see the following message when you choose the install option if you are really having problems with your drivers in the first place:
This usually means that the driver for that specific device is not installing properly and you may need to load it manually. Here’s how:
- Download the driver for the problematic device from the manufacturer’s website.
- Save the driver to a USB flash drive or external hard drive.
- Connect the device to the computer which you are installing Windows on.
- Start the system installation, watch for Load Driver and click this option.
- Once the driver is loaded, proceed with the installation of Windows.
The process should be completed successfully.
Now the solutions outlined above is for when you encounter ‘Windows Setup could not configure Windows to run on this computer’s hardware’ error during installation of Windows 11/10. If however, you encounter this error during a feature update, you can try the following solution.
- Restart your PC and re-run the Windows Update
- Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
- Run the SFC/DISM scan
- Install the Windows Update via Windows 10 Update Assistant or Media Creation Tool
Let’s delve into these steps.
1] Restart your PC and re-run the Windows Update
It could be some of the installation files that were downloaded earlier were corrupted or missing. Before you re-run Windows Update, go to this folder C:WindowsSoftwareDistribution and move all the files to another folder or you can simply delete the Software Distribution folder.
Generally, after removing the files in C:WindowsSoftwareDistribution, Windows will re-download whatever it must when you run Windows Update again. So, try this and if the issue isn’t resolved you can try the next solution.
2] Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
For whatever Windows 11/10 related problem you encounter, the very first thing you should do is to run the in-built Windows 11/10 Troubleshooter for that particular area the problem occurred. In this case, you should try to run the Windows Update troubleshooter and see if the issue is resolved.
- How To Add Animations To PowerPoint
- How to Use Apple Maps on Android and Windows PC
- [SOLVED] The Medium Crashing on PC
- How to Fix Windows 10 Activation Error 0xc004e016
- How to Create a Normal Distribution Bell Curve in Excel
3] Run the SFC/DISM scan
The SFC & DISM are tools to automatically scan and repair missing files or corrupted system files in the Windows 11/10 OS – and in some cases rebuild the system image. The procedure does not affect your personal files.
For the purposes of ease and convenience, you can run the scan using the procedure below.
Open Notepad – copy and paste the command below into the text editor.
@echo off date /t & time /t echo Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup echo ... date /t & time /t echo Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth echo ... date /t & time /t echo SFC /scannow SFC /scannow date /t & time /t pause
Save the file with a name and append the .bat file extension – eg; SFC-DISM-scan.bat.
Repeatedly run the batch file with admin privilege (right-click the saved file and select Run as Administrator from the context menu) until it reports no errors – at which point you can now restart your PC and see if the ‘Windows Setup could not configure Windows to run on this computer’s hardware’ issue has been resolved when you try updating Windows 11/10.
4] Install the Windows Update via Windows 10 Update Assistant or Media Creation Tool
Windows Update can be installed via several other methods such as using the Update Assistant or Media Creation Tool. For major updates like the Windows 11/10 Feature Update, you can manually update to it using the two mentioned tools.
How do you fix Windows setup could not configure Windows to run on this computer’s hardware?
To fix Windows setup could not configure Windows to run on this computer’s hardware error; you need to check when you are getting this issue. If you get this error while installing Windows 11/10, you need to run msoobe.exe to finish the installation manually. Apart from that, you can change the BIOS settings, stop overclocking your CPU, etc. However, if you get this error during a feature update, you need to restart the Windows Update process, run the Windows Update Troubleshooter, etc.
Why could Windows not complete the installation?
It entirely depends on which error you are getting. Different errors require different solutions, and you need to follow them one after one to get rid of this problem. However, you can try restarting the Windows Update service from the Services panel, use the Windows Update Troubleshooter, clear the Software Distribution folder, check your internet connection, etc.
Related read: Windows could not update the computer’s boot configuration. Installation cannot proceed.
Depending on how you encountered the ‘Windows Setup could not configure Windows to run on this computer’s hardware’ error, any of the above solution(s) should fix the issue.