Browsers know too much about us. Our frequently used browsers record our bookmarks, history and passwords etc. Many people want to know how to lock browser with password to make sure of our privacy. Common browsers are Google Chrome, Safari, Edge, and Mozilla Firefox etc. None of them have built-in password protection. Fortunately, our computers and phones have built-in app locker tool can be used to lock browser apps. Also I’ll recommend several reliable third-party applications in this article.
How to Lock Browser on Mac with AppCrypt
AppCrypt is a powerful app locker and website blocker tool for Mac users. Using it, you are able to lock any apps including all your browser apps on computer with password. Without the password you set, no one could access your browser and invade your privacy. When someone tries to launch the locked browser and types a wrong password, AppCrypt will capture a photo with Mac’s camera to record this failed attempt. Using the schedule feature to lock your browsers during working time can also help you stay focused. Follow these simple steps to lock browser Safari, Chrome, Firefox on Mac with password:
1. Download AppCrypt and install it.
2. When you launch AppCrypt at the first time, it will ask you to set a password. Click Submit after setting the password.
3. Click the icon in the menu bar. Choose Open main window.
4. Enter the password then you’ll jump to the main window.
5. Click App Lock in the upper left corner.
6. Select the Chrome app or any other browsers you want to lock then click Open.
Now the browser is locked on computer. The user can only access the locked browser with password.
Tip 1: Make your privacy protection more effective
If you think above are not enough, there are some features you can enable to make the locking more effective. Go to Preference tab on the main window. Set AppCrypt to automatically launch at system startup. When the locked browser is deactivated for some time, it will be auto locked. You can enable or disable this feature as your need.
Tip 2: Lock browser at certain time using Schedule feature.
You can click Schedule to set a general schedule to lock browser app during certain times. For example, you can lock browsers from 8:00 AM to 6:00PM on working day. And you can create multiple schedules. Note that a general schedule applies to all locked apps. If you want, you can also select a locked app, then a clock icon will appear. Click it and turn on Custom Schedule to add a schedule.
Lock Browsers with Mac’s Built-in App Locker Tools
For macOS 10.15 Catalina or later:
To protect your privacy and lock browser on Mac, you can take advantage of Mac’s Screen Time feature. Available for macOS 10.15 or later and iOS 12 or later, Screen Time is a great built-in tool to limit apps usage, monitor online activities and restrict access to inappropriate content etc. It’s app limit feature can’t lock a browser app directly, but you can set time limits on specific browser apps. If you need to lock browser on your child’s account to prevent him from accessing inappropriate sites or content on browser, Screen Time is a good choice. Below are steps:
1. Choose Apple menu. Click on System Preference then select Screen Time.
2. Choose your child’s account from the left menu. Click Options on the bottom left corner. Turn on Screen Time.
3. Select Use Screen Time Password and then set a password. (This step is optional)
- Solved: BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER error on Windows 10
- 4 effortless ways to uninstall apps in Windows 10 or Windows 11
- The VSS service is shutting down due to idle timeout
- How to delay the Windows 10 Anniversary Update on your PC and why
- Fix: Modern Setup Host High CPU Usage on Windows 10
4.Find App Limit in the sidebar and turn on it.
5. Click the plus icon. Then the Create a new app limit window will pop up.
6. Choose the browser app you want to lock on your child’s account. Set the daily time limit then click Done.
After that, the browser app is restricted on computer. An app-limit notification will pop up 5 minutes before the time limit you set is reached. Your child can click OK then the browser will close. If you have set the password in step 3, he can also click on Ask For More Time and send requires to parents account for more time approval.
For macOS 10.7 Lion – macOS 10.14 Mojave
If you are using macOS 10.14 or earlier, you cannot find Screen Time on your device. But you have a built-in app locker tool similar to Screen Time called Parental Controls. It also supports to limit applications including browser apps on Mac.
1. Choose Apple menu. Click on System Preference then choose Parental Controls.
2. Click the lock icon in the bottom left corner. Enter the name and password of administrator. Choose Unlock.
3. The administrator’s account is used to manage others. First you should click the plus sign and add your child’s account.
4. Back to the main window of Parental Controls. Click the account you want to lock browser on it. Go to Apps tab. Check the box for Limit Applications on this Mac.
5. Search Safari and then uncheck the box before it. Now Safari app is locked. Users cannot access this browser unless the administrator’s grants permission. You can use the same method to lock browser Firefox and Chrome and any others on mac.
Password Protect Your Browser via Browser Lock Extension
Forget to close the browser when move away from your device? You may worry about someone seeing your browser history or accessing your social media account, etc. Browser Lock offered by humbldump is a free extension to take control of web browser privacy. After adding it to your Chrome or Edge browser, your browser will be automatically locked after it is deactivated for some time. You can also lock the browser yourself at any time if desired. Here I’ll show you how to lock browser Chrome with this extension:
1. Find Browser Lock in Chrome Web Store and select it.
2. Click on Add to Chrome on the top right. Click Add extension on the pop-up notification.
3. A new window will appear. Choose GET STARTED.
4. Enable the option of Lock when browser start. Enable or disable the function of locking browser automatically. Change the default password.
5. Now your Chrome browser is locked with password. You can customize the screen with background image, color theme etc. You can add this Browser Lock extension to Microsoft Edge too.
Using Microsoft Family Safety to Lock Browser on Windows
Microsoft family safety is designed for families to manage Internet behavior. It has the functions of screen time, web filtering, app blocking etc. Microsoft family safety is a free and built-in application on Windows Home edition. If you’re using Windows, you can try this method to lock browser app.
1. Go to the Windows menu.
3. First you should create a Microsoft account for your child or other users. (You can skip this step if your child or other users already has an account on computer) Click Add a family member. Enter the email address of the user, or choose Create one for a child. Set a password. Enter user’s name and birth information etc. Now the Microsoft account is created on your computer.
4. Now go back to family & other users. Choose Manage family settings online.
5. Sign in with you own Microsoft account to manage others. Then select Activity under your child’s account icon.
- How to sync a Trello and Google Calendar integration for better meetings
- How to rebuild the icon cache and/or thumbnail cache in Windows 11 and 10
- What's the difference between the OneNote versions?
- What is Lockdown Browser and How it Works
- 3 Ways to Fix your JSON Viewer If It’s Not Working in Firefox
6. Select Apps and game limits. Enable the Time limits option.
7. Turn on the toggle switch right of the browser app you want to lock.
8. Set the usage time to 1 min to lock browser on Windows. Or you can set time limits as you like.
How to Lock a Browser on iPhone with Screen Time
I have mentioned how to lock browser on Mac with Screen Time above (Method 2). Screen Time also available on iOS 12 or later. Follow these steps to lock browser Safari on iPhone:
1. Go to Settings on your iPhone (iOS12 or later). You can see the Screen Time option. Turn it on. Choose it’s your devices or your child’s devices.
2. To get started, you have to tap Use Screen Time Password to set a password.
3. There’s 4 main parts in the main window of Screen Time: Downtime, App Limits, Always Allowed, and Content & Privacy Restrictions. Here we choose App Limits.
4. Click Add Limit. Find browser Safari from the list and select it. Click Next.
5. Set the usage time to 1 min for every day. Enable Block at End of Limit.
6. Now browser Safari is locked on your iPhone. You can use the same method to lock browser Chrome or Firefox on iPhone.
Tip: If you want to change the limits to have more access on the weekends, you can click Customize Days and change this time limit for each specific day.
Lock Browsers on Android with AppLock
Although most of us have lock our phone with password, we still want to set password for certain specific apps such as browsers. There’s no built-in app locker on Android phone. But we can use third-party app-locking tools. I recommend AppLock offered by DoMobile Lab. Now I’ll show you how to lock browser Firefox on Android using AppLock.
1. Download AppLock and install it.
2. Set a password when you first open the app.
3. Give AppLock permission to open on top of other apps.
4. Select browser Firefox from the list then click Lock.
5. Now the Firefox app is locked on your phone with password. Next time you need to enter the password to access the Firefox.
Tip: How to stop uninstalling AppLock
You can enable the Advanced Protection to stop uninstall AppLock without password. No one could access your browser by uninstalling this app-locking app unless you provide the password. Further protect your privacy.
It’s annoying when friend comes home, opens our computer or phone and then uses the browser app without permission. Sometimes we worry about our privacy since browsers record your bookmarks, history and passwords etc. And we don’t want unwanted person accessing our social media accounts. This article shows you 6 helpful methods on how to lock browser on Mac, Windows and phone with password. Hope I can help you solve this problem.