Netflix allows you to download movies and shows offline only with the Netflix app for Windows 10 and 11. You cannot download a title from Netflix in a browser. But where is the Netflix download folder?
The streaming service doesn't allow you to browse to the destination from within Netflix where it downloads and saves movie files. Also, Netflix doesn't let you set the location of the Netflix downloads folder on laptops or desktops. You have to use File Explorer to find the Netflix folder. Then, you can manually move the downloads to another location if your drive fills up fast. When you want to watch them again, copy them back to the original place.
Note: The steps below are the same for Windows 10 and 11. Screenshots of the Netflix download folder are from Windows 11.
Where Are Netflix Downloads Stored?
Netflix downloads on Windows laptops and desktops go into a hidden folder. But you can locate it with a few simple steps and create a shortcut to the download location if you access it frequently.
- Open the Netflix app and download a movie for offline viewing. The Netflix folder isn't created unless you download something.
- Open File Explorer from the Taskbar.
- The Netflix download folder is hidden. To display it on Windows 10, go to the View tab and click on the Option menu button on the right.
- In Folder Options, select the View tab and scroll to the Files and Folders settings. If it's not checked, select the Show Hidden files, folders, and drives setting to enable it.
- Click OK.
- On Windows 11, select View > Show > Hidden items to reveal all hidden folders.
- From File Explorer, you can navigate to the Netflix download folder. The full path is as follows:
Here [USERNAME] is the Windows folder with your current username.
- Taskbar notifications not showing in Windows 11/10
- Twitch Mods Not Loading [Quick Fix]
- How To Fix ‘Not Enough USB Controller Resources’ On Windows 10
- How to Create a Fillable Form With Microsoft Word
- 5 Ways to Fix Google Chrome White Screen Error? Here’s How To Fix It (2023)
You can also copy-paste C:Users and then select the folder with your username. Then, append the file path after that to get to the folder without drilling down into the hierarchy.
The Netflix download folder will be empty if you have never downloaded movies or shows with the Windows 10 or 11 Netflix app. However, once you download something, you'll see a bunch of files here. The largest will belong to the actual media file.
Notice that there are no file names to help you identify the movie or show. Rename the largest file, and Netflix will no longer recognize them. Also, you cannot play them with any media player except the Netflix app.
You can delete the files and reclaim some of the space on your hard drive. But you can do that from within the app as well.
- Fix Office Update error code 30088-28 or 30016-29
- How to fix Hulu Error Code 95
- How to change Screen Resolution in Windows 11
- FIX: Print Spooler Service is not running in Windows 10/11.
- How to Rebuild the BCD in Windows
Until Netflix adds a few more file management features, at least the location can help you manage your hard drive space when it starts to run out.
Manage Netflix Downloads on Android Devices
Space becomes a more critical issue on phones. So check out our previous article to find out where Netflix download files are on an Android device and then save space by moving Netflix content to an SD card.