Updating your browser is important to ensure you’ve installed all the latest security updates and are able to load web pages properly. An update will often come with new features and changes to the interface that can give your browser a fresh feel.
Along with the browser, you should also keep your browser extensions updated, or remove extensions that are no longer supported by the developers. Updating browsers isn’t very difficult, and in most cases, they’re set to update automatically by default. However, if you’ve never updated a browser manually, you might need some help finding where the option is located in your browser.
In this guide, we’ll walk you through how you can update most major web browsers on a Windows PC so you’re always running the latest version. We’ll include Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge, and Opera.
How to Update Google Chrome to the Latest Version
By default, Google Chrome is set to update itself automatically so the new versions will typically install as and when they’re released. If Chrome downloaded automatic updates while you were using the browser, you’d need to relaunch the browser to finish installing the updates.
- Click on the ellipsis at the top-right and select Help > About Google Chrome.
Alternatively, you can paste the following address into the URL bar:
- You’ll see the current version of Google Chrome installed on your PC. If you also see a message that reads Chrome is up to date, you already have the latest version.
If Chrome finds any available updates, it will automatically install them, and you’ll see a Relaunch button next to it. Click on it to restart the Chrome browser, and you’ll now have the latest version of Chrome.
If you’re unable to update your Chrome, you may need to fix the Chrome browser so you can successfully update it.
How to Update Firefox to the Latest Version
Just like Chrome, Firefox automatically installs updates as and when they become available. If you have reason to believe you’re not running the latest version, check the current version and see if there are any updates available for Firefox by following the process illustrated below.
- Click the hamburger icon at the top right of the browser and select Help > About Firefox.
- You’ll see a pop-up window. If a new update is available, Firefox will automatically start downloading the update.
- Once the updates are installed, you’ll see a button that says Restart to Update Firefox. Click on it to restart Firefox, and you’ll now have the latest version installed.
How to Update Microsoft Edge to the Latest Version
Edge is a Chromium-based browser so a large portion of the process is the same as for Chrome. It also installs updates automatically, but you can check for updates yourself from within the About section.
- Select the horizontal ellipsis at the top right of the Edge browser and select Help and feedback > About Microsoft Edge.
- Edge will automatically check for software updates, and start downloading them if they’re available.
- Once it downloads the updates, you’ll need to click on the Restart button. Doing this will restart your internet browser and install the latest updates.
How to Update Internet Explorer to the Latest Version
There’s no built-in feature for updating Internet Explorer. You’ll need to rely on Windows Update. When you update Windows, the browser updates for Internet Explorer are installed along with other updates for your Windows operating system.
Also, the latest Windows OS (Windows 11) doesn’t have Internet Explorer, so this section is relevant if you use Windows 10 or an older version of Windows.
- Click the Start Menu button, search for Check for updates, and press Enter.
- Click on the Check for updates button, and let Windows scan for updates that are available.
If windows finds them, install them, and you’ll then be running the latest version of Internet Explorer.
How to Update Opera to the Latest Version
Opera updates itself automatically whenever an update is available. However, you can also try to update Opera to the latest version manually.
- Launch Opera and select the Opera logo at the top left of the browser window. Select Help > About Opera.
- Opera will start checking for updates automatically and install if it finds any updates that are available.
- Once the updates are installed, click on the Relaunch now button to restart Opera and finish the installation.
How to Update Other Browsers
If you use a browser that isn’t on the list like Brave or UC browser, you can still follow a general process to update your browser. You should look for the Help or About section in your browser, which is typically housed in the Settings menu.
Once you’re in the About section, you’ll be able to see the current version of the browser. This is also where most browsers will show if there’s a newer version available. If it is, you’ll also see an option to update the browser. Once the update completes, restart the browser and you’ll have updated to the latest version.
If you’re trying to update your browser because of a specific issue, you should take a look at the following guides:
- Best browsers for old and slow computers
- Best browsers for protecting your online privacy
- Browser with a built-in VPN
- Best lightweight browsers
Update Your Browser Today
Hopefully, you were able to update your browser successfully. If you’re running a different operating system, like Mac OS X which comes with Safari installed as its default browser, you’ll need to follow a different process. You can also install Safari on Windows, but you won’t be able to update it since Apple stopped its development in 2012.
The process is also different for Android or iOS devices, on which you’ll need to use the Google Play Store or the App Store, respectively. Regardless of which devices you use, keeping your browser up-to-date is critical for ensuring a safe browsing environment and access to the latest features.
— Update: 14-02-2023 — us.suanoncolosence.com found an additional article How to Update Your Browser [All Web Browsers] from the website helpdeskgeek.com for the keyword how to update chrome firefox edge opera browsers.
Browser updates introduce new features and enhance general performance and stability. Better yet, they improve compatibility, fix security loopholes, and resolve numerous bugs and other issues. But although web browsers are capable of keeping themselves up to date, you always have the option of manually checking for and installing the latest updates.
In this guide, you’ll figure out what you must do to update popular browsers such as Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, and Apple Safari on the PC and Mac.
Tip: If you want to update your browser on an Android or iOS device, simply search for the browser in the Play Store or the App Store. If there’s a pending update, tap Update.
How to Update Google Chrome
Google releases major Chrome version updates every four to six weeks, with point updates in between to tackle security vulnerabilities. They automatically install it in the background as you use Chrome, but sometimes, it’s speedier just to force the browser to check for updates.
1. Open Chrome’s More menu (select the three dots icon at the top right of the screen).
2. Point to Help and select About Google Chrome.
3. Wait for the Chrome browser to check for available updates. If it detects any, it will begin downloading the update. You must then select Relaunch to finalize and install the update over the current version. Make sure to save your work before you do that.
How to Update Microsoft Edge
On the PC, Microsoft Edge (the successor to Internet Explorer) used to receive updates via Windows Update before its Chromium makeover. However, it now gets updates directly. This also holds for the macOS/OS X version of Microsoft Edge.
1. Select the Settings and More menu button (three dots on the top right of the window).
2. Point to Help & Feedback and select About Microsoft Edge.
3. Wait for Edge to check for a newer browser version. If it detects any, it will begin downloading the update. You must then restart the browser to update to the latest version of Edge.
Note: If Edge has downloaded an update automatically, but you haven’t restarted the browser yet, you will see a tiny green or orange arrow on the Settings and More icon. In that case, just close and reopen the browser to finalize the update.
How to Update Mozilla Firefox
Mozilla uses a fast four-week cycle to push out major versions updates to Firefox, and releases minor security updates and bug fixes in between. By default, Firefox updates itself automatically, but you can force it to check for updates whenever you want.
1. Open Firefox’s Options menu (select three stacked lines on the top right of the window).
2. Select Settings.
3. Scroll down the General tab to the Firefox Updates section.
4. Select Check for updates.
5. Wait for Firefox to look for a new version of the browser. If it detects any, it will begin downloading the update. You must then select Restart to Update Firefox to finalize the update.
- 35 Best Kodi Builds (Ultimate List for 2023)
- How to Fix the Remote Device Won’t Accept the Connection Error
- How to Fix Microsoft Office Error code 1603
- How to Change the Close Lid Settings in Windows 11
- How to import contacts into Outlook from CSV and PST file
Note: If you only prefer manual Firefox updates, select the radio button next to Check for updates but let you choose to install them.
How to Update Apple Safari
The Mac’s native Safari browser is fully integrated with macOS and receives updates from regular system software updates. So, to update Safari, you must update your Mac’s operating system.
1. Open the Apple menu and select About This Mac.
2. Select Software Update.
3. Select Update Now.
Note: Rarely, you may have the option of installing Safari updates without updating the operating system. Try selecting the More Info option in Software Update. If you see an update for Safari, select it and use the Install Now option to install it.
Can’t update your Mac? Here are ten reasons why.
How to Update Tor Browser
Updating to the latest version of Tor Browser reduces the chances of compromising your privacy and anonymity while navigating websites. However, despite supporting automatic updates, you can speed things up by forcing it to check for updates. Tor runs on the Firefox codebase, so the process is identical.
1. Open the Options menu in Tor.
2. Select Settings.
3. Scroll down the General tab to the Tor Browser Updates section.
4. Select Check for updates.
5. Wait for Tor to check and apply any pending updates. Then, select Restart to Update Tor Browser to finalize the update.
Note: If Tor has already downloaded an update in the background, you will see a Restart to update Tor Browser on the Options menu. Restart the browser to finalize the update.
How to Update Opera Browser
Opera is another popular Chromium browser that receives constant updates. To confirm you aren’t running an older version of the browser, make sure to check for updates. The steps below also apply to Opera GX.
1. Select the Opera logo on the top-left corner of the window. In the macOS version of Opera, select Opera on the menu bar.
2. Select Update & Recovery.
3. Select Check for update. If Opera detects a new update, wait until it finishes downloading. Then, restart the browser.
How to Update Brave Browser
If you use Brave Browser, you can initiate a check for updates similar to other Chromium-based web browsers.
1. Open Brave’s Customize menu (select three stacked lines on the top-right corner of the browser window).
2. Select About Brave.
3. Wait for Brave to check for and install newer updates. Then, select Restart to apply them.
Keeping your internet browser up-to-date is crucial to having the best possible experience while minimizing potential privacy and security threats. You can choose to let it update automatically, but periodically checking for newer updates yourself ensures that you don’t leave anything to chance.
— Update: 27-02-2023 — us.suanoncolosence.com found an additional article How to Update Opera Browser on Computer? from the website browserhow.com for the keyword how to update chrome firefox edge opera browsers.
The Opera browser is also based on the Chromium project, which powers Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge browser. Opera, developed on top of Chromium, has many unreadily available features.
It’s also one of the oldest browsers that have been powering the featured phones. Or you can say this was the browser from which everyone started surfing the internet. But with time, as technology advanced, the Opera browser too. But not everyone can enjoy the latest and the fantastic features that the Opera browser featured recently.
A few days back, my friend asked me how to update the Opera Browser. He was facing some lags and other issues in his Opera browser, and when he saw mine Oper browser, it was different than his because I always keep it updated. Afterward, I told him the steps he must follow to update the Opera browser on a computer.
In this article, we will learn how to update the Opera browser to the latest version of Windows OS, macOS, and Linux-based OS. The latest update from Opera includes security improvements, bug fixes, and stability enhancements.
It’s strongly recommended to keep your Opera updated.
Update Opera Browser
Opera Browser lets you know the pending updates with a red mark on the side of the settings icon. As soon as you learn an update is required, follow the steps, or check the updates regularly. The steps to update Opera on Windows OS/Linux OS are slightly different than macOS.
Here are the steps to update Opera on your computer system:
- Launch the Opera browser on your computer.
- Click on Opera for menu options.
- Hit on Update & Recovery… command.
- The Opera Update and Recovery window will open and start checking for updates.
- Updates will be automatically installed if available.
The above steps work in both Windows OS and any Linus OS. For Mac OS, you must follow other steps slightly different from the one above.
Here are the steps to Update Opera Browser on Mac OS:
- Launch the Opera Browser on your Computer.
- Click on Opera for the menu option.
- Hit on the Update & Recovery sub-menu.
- The update will be automatically installed in the background. Or, Click on the check for Update to install manually.
The only difference in macOS is that the Update & Recovery option command is available under the menu bar. That’s it. The opera browser is updated to the latest version and will display the message Opera is up to date. If you’ve any significant updates, you may also receive a notification from Opera on your computer.
Opera Browser Update Frequency
Like every other browser, Opera also has three main channels for updates. The frequency of updates also differs for each channel.
- Opera Stable — updated once or twice a month (stable version)
- Opera Beta — weekly update (partially stable for testing)
- Opera Developer — daily update release (unstable)
Let me know if you’ve any questions or have an issue updating the Opera browser.
Bottom Line: Update Opera Browser
Therefore, installing the updates in the Opera Browser is easy and can be done quickly. Although the Opera Browser will keep you updated about the pending updates, you can still check it independently.
- Fixed: Couldn’t Install Updates Because The PC Was Turned off
- Easily Fix Avast Bank Mode not Working Issue [Complete Guide]
- FIFA 22 Error Connecting to the Ultimate Team Servers? Try these methods
- Halo Inifinite Keeps Crashing on PC: Solved by Specialists’ 10 Ideas
- How to Download & Install Windows Subsystem for Android in Windows 11 without Microsoft Store
You must check the updates frequently to ensure you have all the latest features Opera has launched. Also, since the steps are more accessible than in any browser, you can do so in a few minutes.
Even my friend regularly checks the updates and installs the latest ones before me. These steps have helped me a lot, and now he is leading me in the same. So, if you also want your Opera browser to run smoothly, keep it updated.
Further, for any query, you can use the comment section below!
— Update: 18-03-2023 — us.suanoncolosence.com found an additional article How to update an Internet browser from the website www.computerhope.com for the keyword how to update chrome firefox edge opera browsers.
Updated: 05/03/2022 by Computer Hope
Keeping your Internet browser up-to-date is important for security and ensures that web pages load properly and you have all the newest features. We also recommend updating any plug-ins, extensions, or other add-ons installed in your browser. Use the System Information script to detect and update your browser plug-ins. You don't need to pay to update your browser.
Edge is the default Internet browser for Microsoft operating systems, and Safari is the default Internet browser for macOS.
To proceed, select the browser you want to update from the list below and follow the instructions.
- Google Chrome
- Mozilla Firefox
- Microsoft Edge
- Internet Explorer
- Other browsers
Google Chrome updates automatically as new iterations are released to the public. To verify Chrome is at the latest version or update it manually, follow the steps below.
- Open the Google Chrome browser.
- Click the Customize and control Google Chrome button in the screen's upper-right corner.
- In the drop-down menu that appears, move your mouse cursor over Help.
- In the side menu that appears, select About Google Chrome.
- In the next window, Chrome automatically checks for updates and displays the current version. If updates were installed, click the Relaunch button to restart the browser.
Chrome on an Android tablet or phone
On an Android tablet or phone, the Chrome browser should get updated automatically, like other apps. However, if automatic updates are not working, open the Google Play app to check for an updated Chrome browser version.
Mozilla Firefox should automatically download updates and prompt you when they are available to install. To verify that Firefox is at the latest version or update it manually, follow the steps below.
- Open the Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Click the Open Application Menu button in the upper-right corner of the screen.
- In the menu that appears, click the Help option at the bottom.
- Select About Firefox from the side menu.
- In the window that appears, Firefox automatically checks for updates and displays the current version. If updates were installed, click the Restart to Update Firefox button.
Microsoft Edge updates automatically as new versions are released to the public. To verify Edge is at the latest version or update it manually, follow the steps below.
- Open the Microsoft Edge browser.
- Click the Settings and more icon in the upper-right corner of the browser window.
- In the drop-down menu that appears, near the bottom, move the mouse cursor over , and select About Microsoft Edge from the side menu.
- When the next window opens, Edge updates automatically if it isn't at the most recent version.
- If Edge was updated, click the button to refresh the browser.
Microsoft updates Internet Explorer using its Windows Update feature. As long as you regularly install Windows updates from Microsoft, the latest version of Internet Explorer is installed.
- How to enable or disable the Windows automatic updates.
To manually check for and install Windows updates, follow the steps below.
- Press the Windows key, type Check for updates, and press Enter.
- In the middle of the window that appears, under the section, click Check for updates.
If you do not have Windows automatic updates enabled on Windows 8 and earlier versions, you must manually update Internet Explorer on your computer by following the steps below.
- Open the Control Panel.
- Open the Windows Update utility.
- In the left navigation pane, click the Check for updates link.
- You can choose to install all available updates or select the updates you want to install.
If you have Apple updates turned on, Safari should stay up-to-date automatically. To verify Safari is at the latest version or update it manually, follow the steps below.
- Open the Apple menu by clicking the Apple icon in the upper-left corner of the desktop.
- Select App Store from the drop-down menu that appears.
- In the window that appears, click the Updates selector button at the bottom of the left navigation pane.
- Find Safari and click Update (or click Update all to update every app).
Safari on iPad or iPhone
On an iPad or iPhone, the Safari browser should automatically get updated, like other apps. However, if automatic updates are not working, open the App Store and check the section to see if a Safari update is available to download.
Opera should update itself automatically. However, if you want to check the version or update it manually, follow the steps below.
- Open the Opera web browser.
- Click the Opera icon in the top-left corner of the window.
- In the drop-down menu, move your mouse cursor over the selector, and click About Opera from the side menu that appears.
- In the next window, Opera automatically checks for updates and displays the current version. If updates were installed, click the Relaunch now button to restart the browser.
There are other Internet browsers available, but we cannot provide the steps to update every one of them. If your browser is not listed above, the following list has some general tips for updating your browser.
- Check the Help or Settings menu or look in the browser's main menu for a section. The update utility for a browser is often located there.
- If no section is found, check the browser's main menu for a section labeled Update or Upgrade.
- If you cannot find a , , or section in your browser, visit the browser developer's website for further information.
— Update: 19-03-2023 — us.suanoncolosence.com found an additional article How to Update and View the Current Version of Chrome, Firefox, and Edge from the website www.makeuseof.com for the keyword how to update chrome firefox edge opera browsers.
Browsers allow you to access the internet, but when outdated, they become potential backdoors for cyberattacks. This is why most browsers now implement automatic updates.
But, do you know what version of Chrome, Firefox, or Edge you’re currently using and if it is the latest? In this article, you will learn how to update or view your current browser version in Chrome, Firefox, and Edge.
How to Update and View the Current Version of Chrome on Desktop
- Launch Chrome.
- Click on the triple dots menu in the top-right corner of the screen.
- Click on Settings.
- On the left pane, click on About Chrome.
- Chrome will automatically search for and implement updates.
How to Update and View the Current Version of Chrome on Mobile
Google Chrome on mobile is also automatically updated. To view your current version of Chrome:
- Open Chrome.
- Tap on the triple dots menu in the top-right corner of the screen.
- Tap on Settings.
- Scroll down and tap on About Chrome. On this page, you can see what version of Chrome you’re using.
How to Update and View the Current Version of Firefox on Desktop
You can configure Firefox to either automatically or manually install updates. Here’s how:
- Launch Firefox.
- Click on the hamburger menu in the top-right corner of the screen.
- Click on Options.
- Scroll down to Firefox Updates to view Firefox’s updates settings.
- If you set Firefox to Automatically install updates, then you can be reassured that you have the latest version of Firefox installed.
- If you set Firefox to Check for updates but let you choose to install them, you may be overdue for an update. Select the Check for updates button to see if an update is available.
How to Update and View the Current Version of Firefox on Mobile
On the other hand, the Firefox mobile browser is automatically updated. Here’s how to view the current version:
- Open Firefox.
- Tap on the three dots menu in the top-right corner of the screen.
- Tap on Settings.
- Scroll all the way down and tap About Firefox.
- Your current browser version will display along with other key browser info. Here, you’ll be able to tell if your browser is updated to the latest version.
How to Update and View the Current Version of Edge on Desktop
- Launch Edge.
- Click on the triple dots menu in the top-right corner of the browser.
- Select Settings.
- Select About Microsoft Edge from the left menu bar.
- Here, your current browser version will be displayed.
- You can also set Edge to Download updates over metered connections. This will let Edge download updates over a cellular network. Just keep in mind that this may result in additional charges from your provider.
How to Update and View the Current Version of Edge on Mobile
Updating Microsoft Edge on mobile is just as simple as it is on desktop. Here’s how to do it:
- Open Edge.
- Tap on the triple dots menu at the bottom toolbar.
- Tap on Settings.
- Scroll down and tap on About this app.
- Here, the current app version and the date of the last update are displayed.
Have You Checked Your Current Browser Version?
The availability of security updates is one of the biggest benefits of updating your browser. Such updates can protect you against the latest cyber threats.
Oftentimes, minor to major UX and UI improvements also accompany browser updates, which definitely come in handy as well.
Sometimes, however, these updates barely make a splash. In any case, it is important to ensure that your browsers are all up to date.