Several users complained of getting a black screen issue when they were starting Minecraft or playing a game on it. If you are one such user and don’t know how to tackle this issue, we are here for you. In this post, we will look into different possibilities that may cause this issue and also the working solutions for it.
What causes a black screen issue in Minecraft?
There are many reasons behind the appearance of a black screen on your computer. The most probable one is using a third-party antivirus program. So, disable/uninstall the security app, or at least try putting the game in its exclusions list.
- Faulty gaming drivers and obsolete display adapters may also trigger this error. You may solve this by updating all your device drivers via Device Manager. The same doesn’t work in Windows 11, so check for optional updates.
- Apart from this enabled 3D mode, SLI mode, or Stereoscopic mode may also result in similar issues. Disable each one of these modes and check if the problem resolves. When the problem is resolved, you may restart these features one by one and locate the problematic feature.
If neither of the above solutions work, try running Minecraft under compatibility mode or repair the faulty graphics driver. The last resolution could be the use of the CTRL + ALT +DEL shortcut. Let’s explore the solutions in detail –
How to Fix Minecraft Black Screen Issue
If you are getting a black screen while playing Minecraft games on Windows 11 or 10 PC, try the below fixes one by one.
- Uninstall third-party antivirus
- Disable 3D Display Mode
- Disable the SLI mode
- Turn off Stereoscopic 3D
- Try using a different file archiver software
- Run the game in compatibility mode
- Use Ctrl + Alt + Del shortcut
- Run the game with integrated GPU
- Reinstall graphics card drivers
1] Uninstall third-party antivirus
Before you apply any workaround, check if you are using a third-party antivirus program. External apps are known to interact with system files and corrupt them. So, it is mandatory to check and if possible, disable or remove all 3rd-party applications from your device.
Kaspersky and Avast are known to affect high-end games on Windows including Minecraft. As a result, Minecraft turns black when you try starting its gameplay.
Remove/Disable third-party antivirus
Check if the installed security app is blocking the Minecraft game or not. You may know about this by adding Minecraft to your antivirus exclusions list. After you exclude Minecraft on your antivirus interface and find this useful, follow the steps below to uninstall the antivirus program –
- Launch Control Panel and select “Programs > Program and Features“.
- Look for the external antivirus software, right-click on it and choose the Uninstall option.
- Select Uninstall again to remove the chosen program successfully.
Starting with Windows 10 21H1 or Windows 11, you may remove any app directly on the Settings interface. To do so, press Win + X and select Apps and Features. Scroll down to the application that you want to remove. Click the three dots available on its right-end, and select Uninstall.
Note: Windows Operating system now owns an in-built security app that goes by the name – Windows Security. We suggest using this tool as it can take care of all viruses or malware and that too without affecting your system files.
If uninstalling the third-party security app doesn’t help you to solve this issue, try the next workaround.
2] Disable 3D Display Mode
Several users claimed that they were able to solve the black screen issue on Minecraft by disabling the 3D display Mode. Apply this fix by following the below steps –
- Press Win and I shortcut to launch Settings.
- Select System > Display.
- On the right pane, hit Advanced display settings under Scale and layout.
- Look for 3D Display Mode and disable this feature.
- Restart your PC and check if the black screen issue resolves on your Minecraft game.
Note: If you didn’t find this feature on your computer, your device might not support this feature. Anyways, skip this solution and follow the next one.
3] Disable the SLI mode
SLI is a useful tool on Windows PC that enhances the overall performance of your device. However, when you use more than one graphics card in SLI mode, it may cause Minecraft’s black screen issue. So, turn off this mode and check if it resolves the display problem. Here’s how to perform this task –
- Right-click anywhere on your desktop and choose NVIDIA Control Panel. You may open it by searching over the Windows Search as well.
- When you are inside its control panel, go to
3D settings > Set Configuration link.
- You may now opt for “Do not use SLI technology” to disable using the Enable SLI technology on your computer.
Restart your PC and check if the problem resolves now.
4] Turn Off Stereoscopic 3D
Just like 3D mode and SLI mode, there’s another mode in the graphics card if you are using one. This is called the “Stereoscopic 3D” mode. Many graphic cards support this feature, however, a few games don’t.
Since you are getting a black screen issue on Minecraft while playing a game on it, your game might not support this mode. Disable this mode by opening NVIDIA Control Panel and toggling off the Stereoscopic 3D feature. I hope you are now playing Minecraft games without any interruption.
5] Try using a different file archiver software
If you are using the Java version of the game and haven’t extracted the full folder correctly, black screen issues may appear. To solve this, you need to extract the files again using the right tool i.e. WinZip app. While trying java oriented file, your system must allow the process to Unzip that file.
6] Run the game in compatibility mode
Sometimes running the game in compatibility mode also encounter this Minecraft black screen issue on your PC. The compatibility mode is an inbuilt feature of Windows 10. This is used to run the previous application which might not be fully friendly with your Windows OS. Here is the process to follow-
- Go to Cortana and type Minecraft. Again click on the well-matched to open the file.
- Right-click on the same and select Properties from the context menu.
- Choose the Compatibility tab then mark the checkbox against “Run this program in compatibility mode for“.
- Tap the down cursor on the drop-down menu. And select your preferred version of OS then click on the Apply and OK button.
- Once the task is finished, try to attempt to play Minecraft again. Now check if the issue has been solved or not.
7] Use Ctrl + Alt + Del shortcut
If the Minecraft black screen issue continues to stick to your Home Screen, give this shortcut a try. Here is the complete procedure:
- Start the Minecraft game as usual.
- When the black screen appears up, press Ctrl + Alt + Del hotkey.
- Here, click the Cancel button to go back to the Windows screen.
- If the home screen of the game appears up, play the game without any hassle.
Note: If the above workaround finds helpful to you, use this shortcut when the black screen stuck the game.
8] Run the game with integrated GPU
Most of the PC have both integrated and dedicated in-built graphics. Dedicated graphics always perform better than integrated. However, if you are on the dedicated graphics, this may cause the Minecraft black screen issue.
If the issue pops up due to dedicated graphics, try running Minecraft using the inbuilt graphics of your system. To do this, make a right-click on the shortcut and select the option “Run with graphics processor“.
If this method work indeed, you have to use the default graphic for Minecraft and change your Dedicated Graphics asap.
Note: This is just a temporary solution. If the issue gets resolved, this might come back again on your PC.
9] Reinstall graphics card drivers
In General, the faulty or obsolete graphics card driver can also cause the Minecraft black screen issue in-game. To solve this trouble, you need to uninstall this driver and reinstall the same again. This process is quite easy, just follow the below steps-
- Press the Win logo & X hotkey to open Start.
- Select Device Manager from the list.
- Now look for the graphics card driver and expand it.
- Right-click on the same then select the Uninstall device option.
- Click the Uninstall button again to permit the changes.
- When the driver is successfully removed, click on the Scan for hardware changes icon.
- Now go to the official website of the manufacturer. There download the latest version of the graphics device driver as per your system architecture.
- Once the process is finished, check if the Minecraft black screen issue is still available.
|Note: The default settings of the device driver are by default not optimized. Hence, this may result in certain issues in your system.|
Read: Fix – No device drivers were found during Windows Installation
Minecraft black screen issues can be quite problematic, but in most cases, these problems are caused by your settings or drivers. You must be now able to manage Minecraft black screen issue using one of our solutions.
That would be All!!
— Update: 18-03-2023 — us.suanoncolosence.com found an additional article Fix Minecraft Black Screen glitch on startup in Windows 11/10 from the website www.thewindowsclub.com for the keyword fix minecraft black screen glitch on startup in windows 11 10.
Minecraft is a game that needs no introduction. It is super popular and it has more than 100 active users all around the world. However, a big chunk of the users are pissed by the Minecraft Black Screen glitch and they want to know how to fix it. According to some, the screen goes black the moment they launch the game or when they tab out of the game and they are not able to access it. In this article, we are going to talk about the things that can cause the problem and see how to resolve them.
Why does my screen go black when I tab out of Minecraft or when I open it?
There are many causes that can trigger this issue. It can be caused by an antivirus that you may have configured on your system. The antivirus can block your game from running as it may think that Minecraft is a virus. Other than the issue can be caused by incompatibility issues. You can run the game in Windowed mode or Full Screen depending on the configuration of your game. There are some other Windows Settings that you need to alter in order to resolve the issue. We have accumulated a list of solutions and setting tweaks that can fix the issue.
Fix Minecraft Black Screen glitch on launch or in full-screen
If you want to fix the Minecraft Black Screen glitch then, first of all, update your Windows. Make sure that you are running the latest build. Sometimes, updating alone can fix the problem by updating some drivers that can fix the issue, but even if it doesn’t or if you are already on the latest version, checking for updates once in a while is a good thing.
If updating is to no avail, then try these solutions to resolve the problem.
- Check your antivirus
- Run the game in Compatibility Mode
- Check Full-Screen Optimization
- Use Ctrl + Alt + Delete
- Update Graphics Driver
- Remove App Data
- Update Java (for Java version)
Let us talk about them in detail.
1] Check your antivirus
Your antivirus may think that your game is a virus and then block it from running on your computer. This doesn’t mean that your Minecraft is malicious, it just means that your antivirus has made a mistake in identifying their files. So, try disabling your antivirus and see if the game opens. If it does, then you know what’s causing the problem. You can uninstall the antivirus if you want or whitelist your app.
However, if you don’t have an antivirus app and you are just using the Windows Firewall, then you can disable it temporarily and see if that helps. And if it does, then try allowing your game through the Firewall.
2] Run the game in Compatibility mode
According to many users, the game has worked by using the Compatibility mode. So, you should use that setting as well to resolve the issue. Follow the given steps to do the same.
- Right-click on the Minecraft shortcut and select Properties.
- Then go to the Compatibility tab.
- Tick Run this program in compatibility mode for.
- Select Windows 8 and click Apply > Ok.
Then start the game and see if that helps.
3] Check Full-Screen Optimization
Full-Screen Optimization is there to make sure that your computer is using a big chunk of its resources to run that app or game. But sometimes, it can backfire by causing frame drops, black screen issues, and crashes. Therefore, we need to check if the Minecraft app has this feature disabled or enabled. Follow the given steps to do the same.
- Right-click on the Minecraft shortcut and select Properties.
- Then go to the Compatibility tab.
- Check if “Disable fullscreen optimizations” is ticked or unticked. If it’s enabled then disable it and vice-versa.
- Finally, click Apply > Ok.
Hopefully, the issue won’t persist.
4] Use Ctrl + Alt + Del
When you open the game and the black screen appears for no apparent reason, try hitting Ctrl + Alt + Del. This shortcut can return you back to the normal game and you will be able to enjoy it then. Do this and see if that works
5] Update Graphics Driver
Next up, let us update your Graphics Driver and see if that helps. It generally works if you haven’t updated your drivers in a while, they get outdated and start creating a problem for the user. So, always keep them updated, otherwise, they can create problems for a lot of applications.
6] Remove App Data
If the App Data or caches are corrupted, then you may see black screen issues. In that case, it is better to remove it and start your game from the scratch. To do that, open the Run by Win + R, type the following environmental variable and click Ok.
Go to the Roaming folder and open the .minecraft folder. Then delete Bin, resources, config, and mods folders. Now, reopen Minecraft and see if that helps.
7] Update Java (for Java version)
If you are on the Minecraft Java Version then try updating Java and see if that helps. In most cases, outdated Java can cause the issue, and updating it can resolve it. So, do that and see if that helps.
Hopefully, these solutions have helped you resolve the issue and enjoy Minecraft.
Related: You Need to authenticate to Microsoft Services – Minecraft error.
Why isn’t my Minecraft app opening?
The corrupt launcher files, outdated graphics card driver, too many Minecraft Mods, etc., could be the reason why Minecraft is not opening or Minecraft Launcher won’t open on your Windows 11/10 system. You can first try to run Minecraft as an administrator and see if it works. If not, delete corrupt Minecraft Launcher files, update your graphics card driver, and remove the added Minecraft Mods. Also, make sure you are using a good internet connection to run Minecraft properly.
Also Check: Fix Minecraft game has crashed with Exit Code 0.
— Update: 19-03-2023 — us.suanoncolosence.com found an additional article Minecraft Launcher Black Screen: Here’s Why & How to Fix from the website windowsreport.com for the keyword fix minecraft black screen glitch on startup in windows 11 10.
Reinstalling the game should be your last resort, but always can work out
One of the most popular games in the past few years was Minecraft, but many users reported Minecraft black screen issues that prevent them from starting the game.
- Protect Remote Desktop credentials with Windows Defender Remote Credential Guard
- Fixed: Outlook Blocked Access to the Following Potentially Unsafe Attachments
- How to Fix “Error Code: VAL 5” on Valorant?
- Back up & Restore Boot Sector & MBR with HDHacker
- How to Use Slide Master in Microsoft PowerPoint to Create Impressive Presentations
This can be a big problem for gamers, so today we’re going to show you how to fix this issue.
There are many issues that can occur with Minecraft, and speaking of issues, here are some common problems that users reported:
- Minecraft launcher black screen Windows 10 – Sometimes problems with Minecraft can be caused by your antivirus or drivers. To fix the issue, we advise you to temporarily disable your antivirus and make sure that your graphics card drivers are up to date.
- Minecraft Windows 10 edition black screen – Problems with the Windows 10 edition of Minecraft can occur due to your graphics card settings, so be sure to disable 3D Display Mode and the Stereoscopic 3D feature.
- Minecraft black screen on startup, after launch, crash – These are some common problems that can occur with Minecraft, but you should be able to fix most of them by using one of our solutions.
- Minecraft black screen when alt tabbing – This can be caused by an incompatible or incorrectly set resolution from its settings.
How do I fix Minecraft black screen issues on Windows 10?
1. Check your antivirus
If you’re unable to start Minecraft, the first thing that you need to check is your antivirus software.
Many third-party antivirus tools tend to interfere with certain applications, and sometimes your antivirus can prevent you from running Minecraft and other games.
If you’re getting a black screen while trying to run Minecraft, be sure to check if your antivirus is blocking Minecraft. You can also add Minecraft to the list of exclusions in your antivirus and check if that helps.
If Minecraft isn’t blocked, try disabling certain antivirus features or your antivirus altogether. Sometimes this might not be enough, so your best choice would be to uninstall the third-party antivirus.
Once you remove the antivirus, try running Minecraft again.
If removing the antivirus solves the problem, you might want to consider switching to a different antivirus.
If you’re a gamer, and you want to be sure that your antivirus doesn’t interfere with your gaming sessions, you might want to try out antivirus software with gaming modes.
2. Reinstall your graphics card drivers
- Open Device Manager by pressing Windows Key + X and choosing Device Manager from the list.
- Locate your graphics card driver, right-click it and choose Uninstall device.
- If available, check Remove driver software for this device Now click on Uninstall.
- After the driver is removed, click Scan for hardware changes icon.
Of course, you can use Device Manager or you can even look for the driver by visiting your graphics card manufacturer’s website and downloading the latest drivers for your model.
However, the easiest way to update your driver is by using a third-party tool such as DriverFix that will work through the whole process automatically.
You only need to download and install DriverFix, then open it. You don’t have to click on anything because the software will automatically run a driver scan on your PC.
After a short while, there is only one step left, deciding whether to install the drivers separately or all together.
For the first option, you have to check the boxes on the left of the drivers and then click the update boxes from their right. For the second, you just click on the Select All box.
3. Try using WinZip as an archiver software
If you’re using a Java version of Minecraft, perhaps the black screen is caused by your file archiver software.
In order to run the Java version of the game, your PC needs to be able to unzip the Java files, and if that doesn’t happen, you might have to switch to a different file archiver software.
According to users, they reported that the problem was fixed after switching to WinZip software, so you should definitely try it out.
The procedure is as easy as right-clicking the Java files and selecting the extract option.
After solving the Minecraft problem you will still have an excellent compression tool that also connects to Dropbox or Google Drive.
4. Disable the 3D Display Mode feature
- Open the Settings app. The fastest way to do that is to use the Windows Key + I shortcut.
- When the Settings app opens, navigate to the System section.
- In the right pane scroll down and select the Advanced display settings.
- Locate 3D Display Mode option and disable it.
Note: Bear in mind that not all PCs support this feature, so if it’s not available on your PC, you should try a different solution.
5. Disable the SLI mode
According to users, you can experience Minecraft black screen issues if you’re using two graphics cards in SLI mode. In case you don’t know, some users tend to use two graphics cards for gaming in order to get better performance.
Although this feature can be useful, sometimes it can lead to various issues, such as this one. To fix the problem, users are suggesting disabling the SLI feature and the problems with Minecraft should be resolved.
6. Disable the Stereoscopic 3D feature
If you’re having issues with Minecraft black screen on your PC, the problem might be the Stereoscopic 3D feature.
Some graphics cards support this feature, and if you have it enabled, it might give you problems while trying to run certain games.
To fix the issue, it’s advised that you check your graphics card control panels software, such as the Nvidia Control Panel or Catalyst Control Center, and disable this feature.
Once you find and disable the Stereoscopic 3D feature on your PC, start Minecraft again and check if the issue is still there.
7. Run the game in compatibility mode
- Locate the Minecraft.exe file, right-click it and choose Properties from the menu.
- Navigate to the Compatibility tab and check Run this program in compatibility mode for option.
- Select the desired version of Windows and click Apply and OK to save changes.
Note: Bear in mind that you might have to experience different settings until you manage to find the one that works for you.
It’s also worth mentioning that this solution doesn’t work for the UWP version of Minecraft, so if you’ve downloaded your copy from the Microsoft Store, this solution won’t work for you.
8. Use the Ctrl + Alt + Del shortcut
- Start the game normally.
- When the black screen appears, press the Ctrl + Alt + Del keys.
- Click Cancel to return back to Windows.
The black screen should be gone and you’ll be able to run the game again without any issues. Bear in mind that this is just a workaround, so if this solution works for you, you’ll have to repeat it every time this problem appears.
9. Run the game with integrated GPU
If your PC or laptop has both integrated and dedicated graphics, the problem can occur if you’re using the dedicated graphics to run Minecraft.
The dedicated graphics almost always offer better performance, but sometimes it can cause issues with games.
If you’re having Minecraft black screen problems on your PC, perhaps you should try running the game using the built-in graphics. To do that, just right-click the shortcut and choose the Run with graphics processor option.
If this method works, you might want to change your graphics card settings and set your built-in graphics as the default GPU for Minecraft.
Bear in mind that your integrated graphics don’t have the same performance as your dedicated one, so use this solution as a temporary workaround.
Of course, the list is not exhausting and users reported many other related issues including Minecraft black screen when joining the server, blank screens, and of course, variations across various Windows versions including Windows 11.
But one particular problem caught our attention due to its apparently harmless nature (that can easily turn into a nightmare, though). We’re talking about the Minecraft black screen when Alt-tabbing/fullscreen.
My Minecraft goes black screen when alt tabbing:
In fact, users mentioned that this happens across all versions of Minecraft, sometimes when using the Alt + Tab shortcut, other times when exiting the game and there’s nothing they can do about it.
The interesting part is that none of the solutions mentioned above seem to work here. But that does not mean it’s a lost cause.
Here’s what we suggest:
- Make sure your display resolution as well refresh rate match the in-game settings
- Disable HDR and check if that solves the issue
- Run the game in full-screen Windowed mode (which is different from full screen)
Note that this distinction is important since you might encounter the same issues by using the standard option and Windows 10 games simply won’t go fullscreen.
Minecraft black screen issues can be quite problematic, but in most cases, these problems are caused by your settings or drivers, and we hope that you managed to solve them using one of our solutions.
If you have any additions or suggestions, please leave them in the Comments section below.
— Update: 19-03-2023 — us.suanoncolosence.com found an additional article 6 Best Ways to Fix Minecraft Launcher Black Screen Issue from the website helpdeskgeek.com for the keyword fix minecraft black screen glitch on startup in windows 11 10.
Minecraft’s Java Edition, for all of its features and wide range of compatibility, is often a buggy mess on Windows 10. And while the glitches with the game itself are usually minor and easily fixed, launcher errors are more problematic.
Any errors with Minecraft’s Launcher prevent the game from even starting up correctly. Many users report seeing a black screen that opens when running the application. And allocating more RAM to Minecraft does nothing for this problem.
Frustrating as the issue is, there are a number of possible solutions. Here are all the best ways to fix the Minecraft black screen issue and get Mojang’s popular game to launch on your PC again.
Fix 1: Update Your Graphics Drivers
The most probable culprit of the black screen issue is your display drivers. People often forget to reinstall video card drivers after a fresh install of Windows, leading to a subpar performance on the default Microsoft drivers. Taking a moment to update drivers can often solve these issues.
Many online forums recommend simply using the Device Manager to uninstall the device driver, but this approach runs into the same problem. Instead of relying on Microsoft to automatically install drivers for your video card, you should head to the manufacturer’s website and download the correct drivers yourself.
- To install the latest drivers of your computer’s graphics card, head to the manufacturer’s website. All leading laptop and PC manufacturers offer links to updated firmware and drivers for their products.
- You will usually have to enter the model number of your device to find relevant the driver download page.
- Scroll down this list until you locate the VGA or graphics card drivers and download the package.
- The installer itself belongs to the GPU manufacturer, such as Nvidia or AMD.
- Running the setup automatically checks your computer for compatibility, and offers the option to update the drivers without removing existing settings.
- Restart your PC once the installation is complete for the new changes to take effect.
Fix 2: Run in Compatibility Mode
If you are playing with an older edition of Minecraft, it is possible that your system is just too advanced for the launcher to function properly. Newer versions of Windows have made plenty of changes to the underlying structure of the operating system, creating weird glitches for older software.
Thankfully, Windows provides a Compatibility Mode to run these older programs. As the name suggests, compatibility mode runs the application in a simulated environment of an older version of Windows, allowing outdated apps to run properly.
- To launch Minecraft in compatibility mode, right-click on the .exe file and select Properties from the drop-down menu.
- In the window that opens, switch to the compatibility tab.
- Now you can enable compatibility mode by toggling the checkbox and selecting a version of Windows to simulate. Windows 8 is usually the right choice for running Minecraft smoothly, though you can try an older version if that doesn’t seem to work.
- Select OK to close the window and apply the changes.
The compatibility settings will be applied the next time you run Minecraft.
Fix 3: Check Your Antivirus Settings
While uncommon, it’s possible that your third-party antivirus application is interfering with the Minecraft game launcher. Antivirus software is notorious for classifying video games as malware, preventing the game from launching.
You can usually fix this by adding Minecraft as an exception to the antivirus or temporarily disabling the antivirus altogether. The steps will differ slightly depending on the brand of antivirus you are using, but all apps have an option to add certain files as exceptions.
Many security applications – like the Windows Defender – give you the option to deactivate real-time protection, which allows all apps to function without restrictions for a short while. You can also try this method to check if Minecraft works with the interference of the antivirus, and only add it as a permanent exception if it works.
Fix 4: Reinstall Minecraft
Reinstalling an app that is acting up is a tried and tested method of solving most errors. This is because such issues usually stem from corrupted or missing game files, and can be easily resolved when the application is installed again.
- How to remove Recommended section from Start menu in Windows 11
- Fix Propnight crashing, freezing, not loading on Windows PC
- Fix: Not Enough Memory in The System to Start The Virtual Machine
- How to Find App Installation Date in Windows 10
- 8 ways to take a screenshot on Windows 10 and Windows 11
The problem with Minecraft Java is that it isn’t like most applications. Trying to uninstall Minecraft’s Java version from Add or Remove Programs only removes the launcher, leaving the game files intact. To completely remove Minecraft from your computer, you need to locate the Minecraft folder and delete it.
You may want to backup your save files if you wish to keep your progress, however. After that, just install Minecraft again and then copy over the save files to the game directory. This will solve any problems stemming from corrupted game files.
- If you know how to view hidden files and folders on Windows, you can find the Minecraft folder in AppData in your user directory. The path is “C:UserslloydAppDataRoaming.minecraft”
- Alternatively, you can use the Run utility to open the folder directly. Just search for Run in the Start Menu and then enter %appdata%.minecraft to open the correct directory.
- Now copy the saves folder to another location on your computer to backup your save data and then delete the Minecraft folder. This will remove the game from your computer.
Fix 5: Disable Advanced Display Features
Minecraft is an old game. This means that it can run without problems on basic PCs without powerful graphic cards. On the flip side, this also means that it runs into issues on PCs that do have those powerful graphical capabilities.
Advanced display features like Stereoscopic 3D and SLI mode can mess up with the simpler rendering pipeline of Minecraft, preventing it from even launching. Disabling these features can allow older games like Minecraft to run properly.
Depending on your PC and the GPU in use the steps to do so will differ slightly, but here is how to do it for Nvidia Graphic Cards.
- First, open the Nvidia Control Panel. For AMD video cards, this is called the Catalyst Control Center, and Intel’s integrated graphics has the Intel Graphics Control Panel. You can find these applications by searching in the Start Menu or by right-clicking on its icon in the system tray on the taskbar.
- Now, you can either manage the 3D settings individually or use the slider to make an overall change. It is much easier to just drag the slider toward Performance, as that automatically disables all advanced 3D features. Use the Apply button to save the changes.
This will remove any errors due to your computer’s 3D settings, and let Minecraft launch normally.
Fix 6: Use TLauncher
The official Minecraft launcher is well-known for its frequent crashes and bugs. Many modern computers have trouble even running the game despite trying all tips and tricks. This is why many users rely on third-party launchers instead,
These third-party launchers are far more robust and can run Minecraft without any issues on any PC that supports it. Which, considering the age of the game, is practically all of them.
TLauncher is the most popular of these third-party launchers and works beautifully on all Windows, Mac, as well as Linux. Do note that the use of TLauncher is somewhat controversial in the community due to its ability to be used with pirated copies as well. We advise only using the launcher with a premium Minecraft account for the full experience.
- To play Minecraft with the TLauncher, download the app from its official website and install it.
- Upon running it for the first time, you will be prompted to choose a version of Minecraft to download. Yes, that’s right – TLauncher will download the game files on its own, so you don’t need to have Minecraft already installed on your PC.
- Once you make your decision, select the Install button. TLauncher will now download and install Minecraft on your computer.
- After the installation is complete, you can add your Minecraft account and start playing.
- TLauncher will now exit, and Minecraft should launch without any issues.
What is the Best Way to Fix Minecraft Launcher Black Screen Issue
When Minecraft fails to launch on your computer, there are two possible reasons for this problem. Either the issue lies with your PC, or there is something wrong with the game itself.
Updating your graphic drivers, using compatibility mode, and temporarily disabling your antivirus resolves the most common causes of the issue. If turning off the advanced graphics settings of your GPU doesn’t fix the Minecraft black screen problem, then you need to look at fixing the game rather than your PC.
The best way of doing this is by reinstalling the game completely, or better yet, using an alternative launcher. TLauncher is a great option to play Minecraft on modern computers, with an updated interface and bug-free experience. Using TLauncher bypasses any issues with Minecraft or its launcher, and lets you play the latest version of the game smoothly on all PC platforms.
— Update: 22-03-2023 — us.suanoncolosence.com found an additional article How to Fix Minecraft Black Screen Issue on Windows 10/11? [MiniTool Tips] from the website www.minitool.com for the keyword fix minecraft black screen glitch on startup in windows 11 10.
Why Does the Minecraft Black Screen Issue Happen?
It is so pity to hear that you are interrupted by the black screen issue when you hanker after playing Minecraft. If you want to learn why your Minecraft fails to run well, the answer is right here waiting for you to explore.
Some antivirus programs may be too aggressive to allow the game to run well. Besides the built-in antivirus program in Windows, you may install others for which you need to check if they are the ones to blame.
2. Outdated Graphics Card Drivers
You need to keep your graphics card drivers up to date in case the bugs left on your drivers cause the Minecraft black screen issue.
3. 3D Display Mode and Stereoscopic 3D Feature
One of the possible culprits can be the 3D Display Mode or Stereoscopic 3D feature. They may enhance the game experience, but if you find your Minecraft cannot start, please try to disable them.
Now, let’s come straight to the point. You can try the following methods to fix your Minecraft black screen issue.
Fix Your Minecraft Black Screen Issue
Fix 1: Disable Antivirus Program Temporarily
As we mentioned before, you can uninstall your third-party antivirus for a moment and reinstall them after finishing, or change them to others that can get along with your games.
If you find Minecraft still cannot start, you can temporarily disable the built-in antivirus in Windows.
Step 1: Open the Update & Security feature in your Settings.
Step 2: Switch to Windows Security and open Virus & threat protection.
Step 3: Click Manage settings under the Virus & threat protection settings.
Step 4: Turn the Real-time protection off.
Fix 2: Disable the 3D Display Mode
You can fix Minecraft black screen issue by disabling the 3D Display Mode.
Be careful, not all PCs support this feature. If you can’t find the option, please try other methods.
Step 1: Open System in Settings.
Step 2: In the Display section, scroll down and choose Advanced display settings from the right pane.
Step 3: Disable the 3D Display Mode option.
Fix 3: Run the Game in Compatibility Mode
You may encounter the Minecraft black screen issue because of the incompatibility issue. You need to change some settings to better adapt to the system.
Step 1: Right-click on the Minecraft icon and choose Properties.
Step 2: Switch to the Compatibility tab and check the box next to Run this program in compatibility mode for:.
Step 3: Select Windows 8 from the drop-down menu, then click Apply and OK to save changes.
Then you can relaunch Minecraft.
Fix 4: Press the Ctrl + Alt + Del Keys
Once you encounter the Minecraft black screen, the Ctrl + Alt + Del keys may work.
Step 1: Open the game.
Step 2: Press the Ctrl + Alt + Del keys when the black screen occurs.
Step 3: Click Cancel to return.
Fix 5: Update Your Graphics Driver
The graphics driver matters to the Minecraft game that requires you to keep the driver up to date.
Here, you can download the latest version of that on the official website of the GPU manufacturer manually or update the driver through Device Manager.
Step 1: Type device manager in the Start and open it.
Step 2: Right-click the graphics driver and choose Update driver.
Step 3: Then choose the Search automatically for drivers option.
If there is a newer update, Windows Device Manager will download and install the newer driver.
After the update finishes, you can restart the computer and check if the game run well.
After trying those methods, you may have resolved the Minecraft black screen issue. I hope you could have a good time playing Minecraft.